Monday, April 28, 2008

One of those Days




Ok, Owen is officially walking now, with a little prompting of coarse. Its so exciting, no matter how many kids you have had, to watch their firsts! I have really tried to cherish every moment with him, I realize how fast they grow and that there is a high probability that he will be my last. He has definitely been a high maintenance kid, dealing with all of his sickness. So we were suppose to go in for a bronchial tube scope last Thursday but he was running a high fever so it was cancelled. A trip to the pediatrician resulted in a tonsillitis diagnosis and another trip to the hospital for more testing. They are doing more test to determine if he has any metabolic diseases that we might be missing, but she also said she was concerned about cystic fibrosis. I called my GI doctor and got him in on Friday to be seen about the loose pooh for over a month and she sent us back again to the hospital for a sweat test. The results came in around five this afternoon and luckily we are friends with one of the nurses, so they called us right away. NO cystic fibrosis. Daddy and I are so relieved! I knew it was a far reach, but I was really starting to get scared. So now we are hopping he is well enough to do the scope which was rescheduled for this Thursday. Hopefully we will be able to figure all of this out soon. Or maybe he will just grow out of all of this and it will be a mystery....that would be the best result! He is doing ok right now, I am crossing my fingers that he can hang in there and not get sick until after Thursday. Wish us luck!


On another note...today Justin has been quite the handful. He had one of his best buddies over to play, Charity and she brought with her a dead lizard. I was thrilled! They decided that they were going to dissect this lizard on my kitchen table with a table knife, until I realized what was going on and quickly disappointed them. So now I have a dead, sort of cut up lizard in my trash can. Later that afternoon he came to me with a bloody nose. No big deal, you kids get them all the time. Daddy and I are experts on getting them stopped. In the process of cleaning him up, he explained that he was trying to stick gum up his nose and that's why it started to bleed. I explained to him how stupid that was, of coarse in a nice way, but come on....who does that! Only Justin! During dinner Dad saw something up there.....Justin told us that he stuck some tissue up there to stop it from bleeding so we keep having him blow his nose to get it out. We finally were able to see it, so I got the tweezers to pull it out....


GROSS! I pulled out a chewed up, full piece of gum out of his nostril. Amazing! I don't think I have ever heard of someone doing that. I couldn't believe it so I had to take a picture to document. So we had another talk with Justin on how if that was left in his nose, it would mold and grow things and we would have to go to the doctor and the doctor would have to operate to get it out and it would hurt really bad and to never never never do that AGAIN. I think he got the message because when we were done, he was so sad and started to cry, saying...Sorry Mommy.

After FHE tonight he showed us a splinter that has implanted itself in the palm of his hand. Dad and I have tried to dig at it, while he screamed and cried. But Justin is now in bed fast asleep, with the splinter still implanted. We realized he has had enough trauma for one day and we will try to dig it out tomorrow. I love my kids. They are so fun! Not a dull moment! Luckily every Mom and Dad goes through one of these days at least once a week. Knowing that makes it a little easier to cope with!

4 comments:

The Wall Family said...

wow.....so many things Linds and I have to look forward too!! hahahaha, crazy boys. maybe we should stick to just 1 !

Emily R said...

so glad that it isnt cystic fibrosis!!! WHEW!!!
and the gum up the nose??? that must have been fun ;)

Kiera said...

Wow, what a day!! I can't believe he stuck gum up his nose!! That is crazy!!

Amy Pennington said...

Hey Carieann!

Thanks for letting me know about your blog! I can't believe how much lil' Owen has gone through since I last saw y'all. I will definitely keep him and your family in my prayers. I can't believe he is walking and how grown up he is. I will let Jenn know what you said and hopefully we can get something together soon. Her parents leave for their mission to Russia soon. Tell Brent we said hello! Miss you too!